History and Preservation
HistoryIn 1925, just five years after women were granted the right to vote, a group of 400 progressive and determined women committed their resources to form Hartford’s first private women’s city club. They had three primary objectives: to provide an organized center for women’s work, thought and action; to advance the interests of women, and to promote science, literature and art. They bought the grand 1895 Theodore Lyman house at 22 Woodland Street, just around the corner from Mark Twain's home, and created an organized center for social, intellectual and artistic gatherings. The Ballroom, which has a superb floor for dancing, was added in 1930. The house was accepted for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Club members have been recognized by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and Hartford Preservation Alliance for outstanding stewardship.
The Lyman Heritage Preservation FoundationThe Foundation is named in honor of the Lyman family who built the house at 22 Woodland Street in 1895. The Lyman Heritage Preservation Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization whose purpose is to restore and preserve the house and grounds in its historic neighborhood, and to educate the community on the historic significance of the first private women’s city club in Connecticut to own a clubhouse. Legacy gifts as well as donations, including tributes in memory of or in honor of individuals, may be made to the Lyman Heritage Preservation Foundation and sent to 22 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105. Tax deductible donations in any amount are welcome.